Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idiot Abroad: China S01E01

+47
Stella Zheng
Jokie Lu
Pan Pan
Apple Deng
Claire115
Orange Ou
Vanessa Yang
roselovelavender
debbiezjc
emilycai
Vicky Guan
Cassie He
Shirley Hou
Rainbow Deng
Summer Xia
Alfred Chui
Jam Ye
Wendy Wong
Fairy Chen
Ann He
Needle Chan
Ceny11106011044
Kit Fan 11106011052
Mercy Wu
Tina11106011025
Elise Yuen
Mikey
Silky Yeung
Chase9493
Cindy Su
Sallychou
Camping He
Lulu Lu
Arie zhang
Tramy Shen
Niki Nie
Stephanie Xie
Yenting Lee
Abby Zhang
Grace Xu
Icy
Tony Wong
josie-115
Jane Lin
Alex
51 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty An Idiot Abroad: China S01E01

Post  Alex Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:15 am

Hi everyone,

Here is a video I like to show in class Very Happy  It is a popular show from the United Kingdom in which television and radio personality Karl Pilkington is sent to different areas around the world to experience their customs and culture.  In this episode he is in China travelling the Great Wall and Shaolin Temple among other places.

What do you think about Karl's reactions to the differences?
Alex
Alex

https://shaoguan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Re: An Idiot Abroad: China S01E01

Post  11106016055 Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:02 am

It very fanny that Karl thought about China,eating toad,haha...In fact,not all of Chinese people eat that.

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Travel an idiot abroad

Post  Jane Lin Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:32 am

After watching the movie, i feel a little sad and embarrassed. Karl has prejudice for other cultures ,of course ,including China, and he rejects to accept and experience other cultures . In his mind, everything in China is weird and all foods are not normal , and what's more ,he does't like to change and accept challenge .For everyone ,when you go to another country , it is very important that you should try to accept the differences and don't reject ,and in addition , you should try your best to adjust yourself to the new environment and to feel it.Karl does't understand China at all and even hate everything . It is too bad and not smart.I hope Karl can just experience the differences when in different cultures.
Jane Lin
Jane Lin

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty response to an idiot abroad: China

Post  josie-115 Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 am

It's a funny and interesting video Shocked  Laughing .
As for Karl,from where I stand, he's kind of a low CI(CQ) guy,he isn't open minded,as the video says:"he doesn't like going out of his comfort zone",and low tolerance to the new environment and new things(thogh sometimes things are a bit strange),and unwilling to experience the real thing.
For the video,I think it's ok,it's just a new way of reading China,Karl’s way,although it's just some aspect,uncomplete,and may be this is the effect the show want.Actually strange things are everywhere,to some extend,that's what we called exotic or customs,or culture.
There are many places worth a visit in China,if I'm put to list 3 places,at this monent,I would like to recommend: Beijing(for her historical places of interest,like the great wall, the forbidden city,the summer palace...),Suzhou(for her classical gardens,they are truly a site to behold ),and Tibet(for her mystic qualities)...
josie-115
josie-115

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Karl's cultural intelligence

Post  Tony Wong Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 am

after watching the video, I find that Karl has a low level cultural intelligence. because before he come to China, he consider China's culture is strange and ridiculous, and after arriving in China, he sees some Chiness culture and cannot accept these. in my opinion, every country has its culture, and we should respect follow it and do not just complain.therefore, I think his cultural intelligence. as far as I am concerned, the video is just an unrealistic depiction of China. For example, the video reflects the public toilet has no door. it is just a one-sided reflection, because there are more public toilets with doors.
Tony Wong
Tony Wong

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Travel an idiot abroad

Post  Icy Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:03 am

how long the video is! but i still watched it entirely. to be honest, after i finished the video, i was a little bit angry about many things what Karl said, and i felt lost about Karl's reaction. i can understand he knows nothing about Chinese culture, but i can not understand he said that Chinese wreck everything and make everything weird and do anythings with no logic. that was his on side of story.
he don't like Chinese food, he can't understand why Chinese would like to eat anything, he don't like the Great Wall either... he said"it's not Great Wall, it's an all right wall of China", when i heard this words, i felt angry, he should'n criticize with that words. He just knows nothing about China culture. Great Wall is one of the symbol of Chinese culture.
why does Karl feel awful about his China travel? i think there is one main reason: Karl's CQ is low. so he can't easily change his way to adapt New culture. anyway, the video is truly funny, and Karl is lovely.
but i want to make clear that we Chinese culture has long history ,and it is broad and profound. No one can doubt that point.
Icy
Icy

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Response to An Idiot

Post  Grace Xu Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 am

Though I'm not fully agree with Karl on what he sees, I indeed can't retort his opinion that Chinese eat everything. This phenomenon does exist, and as a Chinese myself, I cannot accept it. When I surf the Internet, I always find some "sane" Chinese eating "sane" food like insects and endangered animals.
But Chinese USE TISSUE when going to toilet!!!

I don't think the video was sensationalized. Opinion varies from people to people and different people can sure have different ideas towards the same thing. The video is just for fun after all, not for political purpose or other bad ones, though some views don't really show the true reality.

The funniest moment for me in the video is that Karl goes to a toilet where there is no door and tissue available. Well, sometimes this kind of thing happen but it is very very very rare and he is lucky enough to meet it.
Grace Xu
Grace Xu

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty An idiot aboard

Post  Abby Zhang Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:34 am

it's so funny!I quite agree that Beijing people eat anything! I have been Beijing last year and i saw many inset was selling there.it's very amazing when you saw people have the courage to eat spider,scorpion,centipede,but at the same time felt disgust.how could they eat the terrible insects!!! and the toilet!! it's not just in Beijing!I think it exit in every city of China !! no door!! and very smelly!! hope it can change one day~~
Abby Zhang
Abby Zhang

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Response to the Video

Post  Yenting Lee Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:01 pm

In the video, I think Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence, because he does not want to change his present life and put no appreciation to another countries' culture. To some extent, the video was sensationalized, such as the foods appeared in the screen, it is no usual in China.
If I were planning a trip to China for a Western visitor, I would go the the Imperial Palace, the Great Wall in Beijing and the Terra-Cotta Warriors in Xi'an. These three places attract many visitors every year from all over the world.
Yenting Lee
Yenting Lee

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Response to An idoit abroad: China

Post  Stephanie Xie Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Firstly, I think Karl demonstrates a low cultural intelligence. Because he thinks everything in China is unacceptable and ridiculous.

Secondly, I don't think the video was sensationalized. It shows the real phenomenon in China but Karl just can not adapt to it. In other foreigners' eyes, it may be ridiculous to eat mice. However, it is quite usual in China and for most of Chinese, they can eat everything from the sky, the land and the sea.
Stephanie Xie
Stephanie Xie

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty It’s a very interesting video. Fun to watch after all. Lol

Post  Niki Nie Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Personally, I don't think Karl demonstrates a high level cultural intelligence. He has a strong negative reaction to everything he encounters. However, there’re reasons for him to be so critical about what he sees. First, because we grow up in different cultural backgrounds, it is natural for him to feel disgusting or uncomfortable about the behavior of the Chinese. Secondly, Chinese is still on its way to achieve prosperity. Therefore, some infrastructures are far from being satisfied, especially the restrooms which indeed make people sick.

This video is sort of describing the most real scene in China. For instance, the various kinds of food and the training in the Shaolin Temple, But it’s a little bit over criticizing it. Like it or not, they are still the attractions in China. Cool
Niki Nie
Niki Nie

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Response to An idiot Abroad

Post  Tramy Shen Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:01 pm

As far as I am concerned, it is no doubt that Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence. In the first place, he shouldn’t have criticized everything he sees in a different country even if he doesn’t like it. It’s a culture so he has to pay his respect for as the saying going, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” If I were to plan a trip to China for a western visitor, three places I would recommend are Lijiang, Shangri-La and Fenghuang Ancient City because they are so beautiful and you can experience their multi-cultures.
Tramy Shen
Tramy Shen

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty AN IDIOT ABROAD

Post  Arie zhang Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:32 pm

I don't think Karl demonstrates a high level cultural intelligence, he is unwilling to accept the new culture, and always criticisms.

As far as I am concerned, the video wasn't sensationalized, at the beginning of the video, the maker of the program said that the purpose of it is to make fun at Karl. They want to see how embarrassed and uncomfortable he is. So most of his trip is unfunny. he met some food he unexpected (to be honest, most of the Chinese DON'T like eat insects ). That will make a bad impression about Chinese food.

Arie zhang
Arie zhang

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Response to An Idiot Abroad: China

Post  Lulu Lu Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

I think Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence, he is not willing to accept the strange things he met and just always criticize the things which have not appear in his life.
I agree some criticism by Karl’s like he criticized that the Chinese was eating insect and the egg which is going to be a little chicken, even me could not do that. I also shock that people in China will do such crazy things.
Lulu Lu
Lulu Lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Camping He Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:22 am

i agree with the Karl's criticism that he said Chinese people eat insects and he didn't know the dividing line between food and insects. I think it is true. Chinese people eat almost all the living things, the things fly in the sky or the things live in the sea or the things run on the ground, only if the things are not poisonous they eat them. From one aspect, we may think Chinese people are so brave that they dare eat all things and try different . From other aspect, others may think Chinese people are terrible that they eat the things making people feel sick.

If i was planning a trip to china for a Western visitor, i think the Great Wall in Beijing, the Qin Shi Huang Terracotta Warriors and Horses in Xi'an, and Guilin. Because i think these places are one of the most famous places of interest of China and they can represent the creation of the great of China in Ancient times. Especially the Great Wall which shows Chinese people's in the old days dilligence and wisdom. And i think the Terracotta Warriors and Horses is one of the miracles that people create in the world.
Camping He
Camping He

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty an idiot abroad

Post  Sallychou Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 am

It is usual for Karl not adjust what he met in China for the culture in Uk and China is quite different.People shock the thing the thing which they never met before no matter it is good or bad.Therefore,there is culture friction.Sometimes,we also shock what they do.
Sallychou
Sallychou

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty An Idiot Abroad:China

Post  Cindy Su Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:27 am

After seeing the video, I think Karl has an entire culture shock to Chinese culture. He showed his puzzled and uncomfortable feelings all around his trip in China. It's true that different cultures and customs vary form different places, however, we do have many great culture which could be preserved from the old days to today. So I think one should have a understand about the culture in different places before the visiting.
Cindy Su
Cindy Su

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty response to an idiot abroad

Post  Chase9493 Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 am

I don't think that  Karl demonstrates a high level culture intelligence. He is dissatisfied with every thing he saw.
If I were planning a trip to China , I would recommend  Xishuangbanna in Yunnan province, the Potala Palace in Tibet and Qinghaihu in Qinghai province these three places.
Chase9493
Chase9493

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty An Idiot Abroad: China

Post  Silky Yeung Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:41 am

Karl has a low level cultural intelligence and he was shocked by some Chinese culture. And Karl just stayed in China for a short time. And accepting new things needs time. I think culture shock boils down to three stages: anger, acceptance,and appreciation. Karl isn't willing to adapt a new culture. This can lead to feelings of drepression. The best way to start getting himself accustomed to an exotic culture is to get involved. Get to know the new culture.
Silky Yeung
Silky Yeung

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty An idiot Abroad

Post  Icy Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:35 am

obviously, Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence, he cannot make himself adapt to another culture.i was a little bit angry about what he said, so i don't agree with the his criticisms. if i were planning a trip to China for a Western visitor, i would like to choose these three Places: Li jiang of Yun nan province, Mount Huangshan, and Great Wall. Lijiang is a beautiful city, and it shows China ethnic customs. Mount Huangshan is grand, it shows the magic of nature; about the Great Wall, it is the pride of China, it witnessed Chinese wisdom and spirit.
we can found the funnest part in the video is that when Karl was invited to have a meal, and he saw toad.... and funnest part would be the moment when the host feed him to eat the toads...
yeap, Chinese eat anything. for that point, i can't accept , maybe i will react like Karl when i saw someone is eating the strange thing....
Icy
Icy

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Response to An Idiot Abroad: China

Post  Mikey Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:14 am

This vedio show us a funny guy names Karl who always has a terrible judges to other countries' culture without known it well at the begining. The funniest moment is when he saw the standby lamp in the hotle room and thought it is a radio. He doesn't know what the Lamp is, he just said what it is and doesn't want to ask someone.
If I plan a trip to western vistor, take New York for example, the next three places must be attractions: Times Square,Statue of Liberty,Columbia University. You see, these places represents the history, the dream of pursuits, the culture development of New York. If you feel it by yourself, admiration will place in your heart.
Mikey
Mikey

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty travel

Post  Elise Yuen Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:16 am

From the video, we can know that Karl is quite uncomfortable with all kinds of changes from his countries, like eating diet, lifestyle etc. He can’t understand why Chinese behave like that. It is because he lives in a total different environment with Chinese. If he lives in China, he will absolutely behave the same. So we can see that different culture influences different people. But in my eyes, China has made a great progress. Chinese are more cultured and intelligent. The living standard of people has been upgraded for quite a high level. Besides all those surprising success, we must know that there is a long way for us to keep up with those developed countries.
Elise Yuen
Elise Yuen

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty An Idiot Abroad: China

Post  Tina11106011025 Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:43 pm

After watched the video, I think Karl demostrated a low level culture intelligence. Because when he first reach China he just keep complaining about everything. I think it's very unreasonable when he criticisms about The Great Wall as a Wimpey Home, an All Right Wall and so on. I think he should focus on The Great Wall's history, but compare it with the modern design. Maybe he can't understand other contrasting culture, but st least he should respect them. All in all, I can't totally agree with Karl's criticisms, but some of his criticisms is the China's actual conditions which we still need to improve.
Tina11106011025
Tina11106011025

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty Reflection of the video

Post  Mercy Wu Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:44 pm

The video is very interesting but it did show some bad things of China.

I think Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence because he almost criticized everything he saw instead of trying to adapt to the new culture and know more about it . However, I'm agree with some of his viewpoints. For example, the one that there is no door, no tissue in the toilet is what I can't tolerate.

China is very famous for its long history and profound culture. Therefore, in my opinion, the three "must see" places are, the Forbidden City in Beijing, Nanjing City and HongKong.

The Forbidden City was where the ancient emperor lived. The building itself contains many Chinese elements. You can feel how splendid our ancient culture were.
Nanjing is located in Jiangsu Province. There are many delicious foods and historical attractions. If you spend a couple of days there ( don't choose some public holiday, say, national day:albino: ), you can witness how your steps slow down. I mean it's a kind of slow life, not like some modern and busy city such as Shanghai.
HongKong, although it has been ruled by Britain for a few years, it still remains many Chinese traditions. You can see how these two totally different culture, Chinese and British culture exist harmonious.
Mercy Wu
Mercy Wu

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 Empty respond to the An Idiot Abroad

Post  Cindy Su Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:55 pm

After seeing the video, I think Karl has an entire culture shock to Chinese culture. He showed his puzzled and uncomfortable feelings all around his trip in China. It's true that different cultures and customs vary form different places, however, we do have many great culture which could be preserved from the old days to today. So I think one should have a understand about the culture in different places before the visiting.

Cindy Su
Cindy Su

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next