Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idiot Abroad: China S01E01

+47
Stella Zheng
Jokie Lu
Pan Pan
Apple Deng
Claire115
Orange Ou
Vanessa Yang
roselovelavender
debbiezjc
emilycai
Vicky Guan
Cassie He
Shirley Hou
Rainbow Deng
Summer Xia
Alfred Chui
Jam Ye
Wendy Wong
Fairy Chen
Ann He
Needle Chan
Ceny11106011044
Kit Fan 11106011052
Mercy Wu
Tina11106011025
Elise Yuen
Mikey
Silky Yeung
Chase9493
Cindy Su
Sallychou
Camping He
Lulu Lu
Arie zhang
Tramy Shen
Niki Nie
Stephanie Xie
Yenting Lee
Abby Zhang
Grace Xu
Icy
Tony Wong
josie-115
Jane Lin
Alex
51 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Cultural Gap

Post  Kit Fan 11106011052 Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:06 pm

Different countries have different cultures and backgrounds. All Karl's negative reactions are understandable. Because he is Amrican. What Chinese think is commom, they may think that is amazing and crazy. Chinese people can eat the food in water,on land and in the sky. In the video, Karl is very afraid to eat toad, but actually Chinese people rarely eat toads, they eat frogs. Based on a very huge population, some public facilities are easy to be damaged. When Karl went into washroom, he shocked. That's the reflection of different national conditions.
Kit Fan 11106011052
Kit Fan 11106011052

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty An Idiot Abroad

Post  Ceny11106011044 Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I don't think Karl demomstrate a high level cultural intellingence,and I don't agree with any of Karl's criticisms about what he sees.Becuase he just refuse to adapt foreign cultures.If I were planning a trip to China for a Western visitor,I think Classical Gardens of Suzhou,Zhangjiajie National Forest Park and Chime-Long Paradise are "must see" attractions. Because Classical Gardens of Suzhou can reflect the characteristics of Ancient Chinese architecture, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park can reflect China's spectacular and beautiful nature, and Chime-Long Paradise can reflect nowadays in China.
Ceny11106011044
Ceny11106011044

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Response to An idiot Abroad

Post  Needle Chan Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:19 pm

After watching the video, I think Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence. It seems that he can't accept the Chinese culture. He think there is a large culture shock between Chinese culture and Western country. Actually, I don't agree with any of Karl's criticisms about what he sees. He can't accept Chinese people eat insects, he feel it is very dirty to eat the insects. But I think it is just because western people don't eat any food. They just eat the meat of the animal, the organs they will not eat. It is just the differences of the culture. I think this video was just show a little part of China, and it haven't show the good aspect of China.
Needle Chan
Needle Chan

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Response to An Idiot Abroad

Post  Ann He Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:49 pm

I think Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence because he just complains or criticizes wherever he went or everything he met. he just can not adapt himself and manager things well in different culture.In a world, he is unwilling to accept the new culture, and always criticisms.
If I am planning a trip to China for a Western visitor, I think Qin Terracotta Warriors and Horses in Xi'an , Shangri-La of Yunnan and the Great Wall may be the best choose, because they can not only see the miracles that Chinese people created, but the excellent history.
Ann He
Ann He

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty My view on this video

Post  Fairy Chen Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:40 am

Actually, I don't like Karl at all. I am sure that he hasn't a high CQ because he critize everything he met and show his uncomfortable in China. When I heard he said,"They just wreck everything. They make everything weid",I was angry. China is totally not like what he said and what the way he saw. What's worst, Chinese were said to be no logic to anything. Different country has its own culture, but he said Chinese pelple with unreasonable words so that I cannot accept this guy.
The way he sees Chinese food is that Chinese eat everything, like octopus and Toad. I have even not seen people eat these kinds of food in China. Maybe this trip for him is designed to let him feel unease so that he has a bad impression of China and the local people. The TV AN IDOIT ABORD might be a fun TV show for people to relax, but it 's not for people to know different culture and customs, because there are lots of prejudice.
Fairy Chen
Fairy Chen

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Views on An Idiot Abroad--poor Karl

Post  Wendy Wong Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:35 pm

He has low CQ and has a wrong idea against other culture. He always complains the environment, unwilling to change and feels unhappy which makes his life boring. Even when he is in the new environment, he just lives in his foolish style. Living in your own life style is an adorable thing, but it doesn't mean one can live outside the basic rules. That is not care about others, not willing to adapt to the envrionment, and not to have a justice concept of things.
I hope he will got some change after the trip.
Wendy Wong
Wendy Wong

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Views on An Idiot Abroad--poor Karl

Post  Wendy Wong Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:35 pm

He has low CQ and has a wrong idea against other culture. He always complains the environment, unwilling to change and feels unhappy which makes his life boring. Even when he is in the new environment, he just lives in his foolish style. Living in your own life style is an adorable thing, but it doesn't mean one can live outside the basic rules. That is not care about others, not willing to adapt to the envrionment, and not to have a justice concept of things.
I hope he will got some change after the trip.
Wendy Wong
Wendy Wong

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty About Karl

Post  11106016055 Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:21 pm

I don’t think Karl demonstrates a high cultural intelligence, because he was pretty refuse to accept strange things or culture. As for Chinese food, I had to recognize that most of them will eat many animals who fly in sky or swim in sea. As for his critisms, I don’t agree. Different people different customs. What’s more, he was unilateral on what he saw.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jam Ye Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:53 pm

I think Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence, because he always complained the things that he experienced. He didn't enjoy his travel.

I agree some of Karl's criticisms about what he sees such as the woman throwing the garbage outside the window , people in the bus making some noise when they spit , but I disagree that he said the great wall is the ''all right'' wall.

I think the video is an realistic depiction of China, but just not all the Chinese act like they do in the video. Also , Karl use a pessimistic way to describe what he sees , I think it's a little bit sensationalized .
Jam Ye
Jam Ye

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Re: An Idiot Abroad: China

Post  Alfred Chui Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Obviously, Karl's level of cultural intelligence is low, as somebody says, you should not make a comment on something that you never try. So, in my opinion, Karl is too early and thoughtless to make his judgement by the phenomenon seen in his trip. However, I do agree with something mentioned in the video, things that I cannot accept also existed, such as those weird creature for eating, the badly designed toilet, the superstitions about fortune-telling. In my opinion, I will introduce the foreigners to see the Great Wall, of course. Secondly, the unique style architecture, such as the Forbidden City and architecture in Suzhou. For me, the most attractive things are the delicious dishes all over China, I think that should be impressive for friends from different countries. It's funny to see Karl to see the local people to eat the weird things, like that awesome toads and scorptions which are unacceptable for most of Chinese people.
Alfred Chui
Alfred Chui

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty An idiot abroad China

Post  Yenting Lee Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:26 am

Quite obviously, Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence, he cannot adapt to foreign culture.what he said kind of annoyed me, so i couldn't say yes to his criticisms. If I planned a trip to China for a Western visitor,I would like to choose these three attractions : Li jiang of Yun nan province, Mount Huangshan, and Great Wall. Lijiang , a beautiful city, shows China traditional customs. Mount Huangshan is grand, it shows the magic of nature; as for the Great Wall, it is the symbol of China, it stands for Chinese wisdom and spirit.
we can found the funnest part in the video is that when Karl was served a meal with toad. As we all know ,chinese eat anything that they find . To some degree , i can't accept that.
Yenting Lee
Yenting Lee

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Response to An Idiot Abroad

Post  Summer Xia Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 am

I agree with most of the man’s criticisms about what he sees in China. Compared to the USA, there are many aspects where China should make some progress. For example, reducing the big gap between cities and countries. What’s more, Chinese should show much more good moralities to foreigners.
I have a deep experience about discomfort from being in a contrasting culture. My hometown is far away from Shaoguan. After I entered Shaoguan University, I found lots of differences between my hometown and Shaoguan. It is much hotter here. People here have different eating habits, different views, even different color of skin. It took me several month to feel comfortable.
Summer Xia
Summer Xia

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty respond to the An Idiot Abroad

Post  Rainbow Deng Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:04 pm

After I watching the radio, I don't think Karl has a high level cultural intelligence. High level cultural intelligence means you are easy to adapt to the environment you stay now. And has high tolerance, willingness and openness. But according to the radio. we find that Karl has a quiet low level cultural intelligence. He could't adapt to the food he ate in Beijing. He would rather eat the junk food he took from the United States.

To some extent, I agree with some of Karl's criticisms about what he saw. For example, he made criticisms of the toilets. Actually, the toilets i saw in the radio was too...shabby. it even didn't have a door. It is hard to accept.
Rainbow Deng
Rainbow Deng

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Response to An Idiot Abroad: China

Post  Shirley Hou Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:42 pm

I literally think Karl demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence because he doesn't show us his tolerance, willingness and openess when he comes to a new country that he has never been to. silent Actually, Karl already has some sort of bias before he goes to China.
If I were planning a trip to China for a Western visitor, the three 'must see' attractions must be the Great Wall which is located in Beijing, the West Lake which is located in Hangzhou and the old town of Lijiang which is located in Yunnan Province. Have you been to these three lovely places, Alex? Smile
Shirley Hou
Shirley Hou

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty An idiot in China

Post  Cassie He Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Obviously, Karl has a quite low cultural intelligence. Although there exists some differences between the western and eastern culture, he just can't stand everything and hates everything. He is not a good traveler. He comes to China just because he has to finish his task. As for me, to travel is to experience and have a try on new things, but Karl is unwilling to go outside and feel the beauty of Beijing. He just even doesn't want to experience Kong Fu and the Chinese food.Through his video, I am surprised to know that Chinese do eat everything.

The video is funny, but I especially don't like the judgement he made about the Great Wall. As we know, it is one of the greatest wonders of the world.He is not fond of it because he doesn't figure out the history and special aspects of it. Everything is worthy to be seen and praised.
Cassie He
Cassie He

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty An idiot abroad:China

Post  Cassie He Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:04 pm

bviously, Karl has a quite low cultural intelligence. Although there exists some differences between the western and eastern culture, he just can't stand everything and hates everything. He is not a good traveler. He comes to China just because he has to finish his task. As for me, to travel is to experience and have a try on new things, but Karl is unwilling to go outside and feel the beauty of Beijing. He just even doesn't want to experience Kong Fu and the Chinese food.Through his video, I am surprised to know that Chinese do eat everything.

The video is funny, but I especially don't like the judgement he made about the Great Wall. As we know, it is one of the greatest wonders of the world.He is not fond of it because he doesn't figure out the history and special aspects of it. Everything is worthy to be seen and praised.
Cassie He
Cassie He

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Response to An Idiot Abroad: China

Post  Kit Fan 11106011052 Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:58 am

In my opinion, I think all the reactions Karl made is unstandable.Why? Because he is American and he is in China now. Chinese is amazing. In the video, I think the funniest moment is that Karl was eating frog(I mean that is not toad.) He's very reluctant to eat. He felt sick of that. But I think I can't eat it either. because I that is a disgusting thing. And I think Karl's cultural intelligence is low, cause when he went into the public toilet,he complained that there is no door for an individual one. He felt uncomfortable and he would never rest himself in such a toilet.He is in China, so that is the national conditions of China.Let's just accpet it and hope it will change better.
Kit Fan 11106011052
Kit Fan 11106011052

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicky Guan Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:26 am

After enjoying this video, I really don't think Karl demonstrates a high level cultural intelligence. Because he couldn't tolerate other country or other nation's life style. The local unique food nearly make Karl crazy. He felt very unhappy and uncomfortable under a culture shock. These actions show that he has a low cultural intelligence.
If I was planning a trip to China for a Western visitor, I ‘d like to show them these 3 places, Jiuzhaigou National Park, Qinghai Lake and HunLunbeier Grassland. Because in my opinion these 3 attractions are the most beautiful places in China. When you see the scenery, you can forget all the unhappy things in your mind, and feel the power of nature.
In this video, I found that western people are very creative.
Vicky Guan
Vicky Guan

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty assignment 3

Post  emilycai Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:07 am

As far as I am concerned, it’s sure that Karl demonstrates a low level culture intelligence. In the video we can see that Karl can not accept any new things, he always criticism. And I don’t agree with Karl’s criticisms about Chinese eat everything. I think the phenomenon does exist, but just a small number of people, as for me, I can’t accept to eat any insects and fetus inside the egg!!!
emilycai
emilycai

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty My Opinions About The Idiot's Travel

Post  debbiezjc Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:17 am

It's normal that every country both has its good and bad aspects, however, it's quite ridiculous that in this idiot's eye, everything comes bad. Although I can't agree with part of Chinese culture, but most part of it is wonderful. I don't know whether the TV show just picked up something excessive to show us, or the idiot just acted too excessive. I think the idiot has misunderstood something what China show us and what Chinese people do. But all in all, Most Chinese people are friendly and they are very pleased too help you.
debbiezjc
debbiezjc

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty An idiot Abroad

Post  debbiezjc Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:33 am

In my opinion, I think Karl demonstrates a very low level cultural intelligence. He can't be suitable in China and feel everywhere uncomfortable. I don't agree with Karl's criticisms about what he sees because he is too excessive. In some sense, the video is sensationalized. It shows us some excessive scenes of China, which will be misunderstood by others who know little about China. If I were planning a trip to China for a western visitor, I will recommend him the Imperial Palace, Qin Shi Huang's Buried Sculpture Legion and the Great Wall. The funniest moment in the video is that Chinese people learnt how to speak Karl's name. As to me, I haven't experienced discomfort from being in a contrasting culture. As the last question, I'm not sure now, sorry!
debbiezjc
debbiezjc

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty My opinions to Karl

Post  roselovelavender Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:10 am

As for Kral,I think he really demonstrates a low level cultural intelligence. He can't face other culture optimistically, olny reserving to his native culture.As is known to all,difference makes beauty.Everything has his own feature.Therefore, we should respect to the discrepancies between nation, holding a learning attitude towrd them.Kral can not receive other culture .So he is in low culture intelligence.I disgagree with Kral 's criticisms about what his saw.Well.I think his criticisms is nothing but discrimination to other culture.Well, our chinese also could show a disgusted attitude toward western culture.What more,Indian use hand to eat.Shall we criticisms them?Therefore,we should pursuing the common but respect the different,merging into the sea of world culture
roselovelavender
roselovelavender

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Re: An Idiot Abroad: China S01E01

Post  Vanessa Yang Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:18 am

I think Karl's reaction is very funny and also admirable.Even though he can't understand the reason why Chinese would do so many strange things,he still try to figure it out,still try his best to integrate himself to the surrounding and the local culture
Vanessa Yang
Vanessa Yang

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty an idiot abroad

Post  Orange Ou Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:13 am

He thinks that the things in China are amazing. I think it is because he's new here. Concerned with the Chinese culture and history, Chinese people ate the strange foods for living in the past time because there're not enough food. Now Chinese people eat the strange foods, maybe just for tasting fresh and special food. For the other things, I think, people abroad should understand the culture of China, because Chinese may be feel strange about the things in your country.
Orange Ou
Orange Ou

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty An Idiot Abroad

Post  Claire115 Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 am

Karl has a low CQ. It means he can't adapt effectively to foreign cultures or peoples.
From the video, there are so many Chinese unique cultures. Some are interesting, some are amazing. But all of them looks so bad from Karl.He thinks all the Chinese behavior and custom are so strange and unbelievable.
In my opinion, every country has its own specific culture, and we should accept it and try to appreciate it which represents the life of the country.
Claire115
Claire115

Back to top Go down

An Idiot Abroad: China  S01E01 - Page 2 Empty Re: An Idiot Abroad: China S01E01

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next