Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the accent problem

4 posters

Go down

the accent problem Empty the accent problem

Post  sarah Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:11 am

As far as I'm concerned, I do tend to judge people I meet by their accents. I don't mean that I'm a sort of snob, and only like people with posh accents, but I never feel comfortable with a new person until I've been able to place them from the way they speak. If it's an English person, 1 feel much more at ease if I can say "Ah, he comes form Liverpool", or "He's probably been to public school". I suppose then [ know what to talk about and what to expect from the other person.
The same is true of foreigners. Personally, I prefer a foreigner to speak with a recognizable foreign accent, so that I know that I'm talking to a Frenchman, a Ghanaian, a Pole, and so on. So for me, it seems a bit pointless for foreigners to try desperately hard to get rid of their national accent and try to speak BBC English. If someone is clearly French, I know there's no point in talking about cricket or making jokes about the Irish. And frankly, 1 think it even sounds more attractive. 1 can't really explain why, but if a person has a foreign accent, they seem to be more interesting, even if they are saying the most ordinary things.
sarah
sarah

Back to top Go down

the accent problem Empty Re: the accent problem

Post  Human Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:06 am

accent, a problem of us
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

the accent problem Empty on accent problem

Post  urika Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:00 pm

sarah wrote:As far as I'm concerned, I do tend to judge people I meet by their accents. I don't mean that I'm a sort of snob, and only like people with posh accents, but I never feel comfortable with a new person until I've been able to place them from the way they speak. If it's an English person, 1 feel much more at ease if I can say "Ah, he comes form Liverpool", or "He's probably been to public school". I suppose then [ know what to talk about and what to expect from the other person.
The same is true of foreigners. Personally, I prefer a foreigner to speak with a recognizable foreign accent, so that I know that I'm talking to a Frenchman, a Ghanaian, a Pole, and so on. So for me, it seems a bit pointless for foreigners to try desperately hard to get rid of their national accent and try to speak BBC English. If someone is clearly French, I know there's no point in talking about cricket or making jokes about the Irish. And frankly, 1 think it even sounds more attractive. 1 can't really explain why, but if a person has a foreign accent, they seem to be more interesting, even if they are saying the most ordinary things.
In fact ,judging a person by accent can't be effective every time Smile
urika
urika

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm

I think Chinese people should sound Chinese when they speak English. An accent doesn't stop you being understood if your speech is clear.

The Prime Minister of Singapore about ten years ago said something like "I want people to know I am from Singapore when I speak English".

Think about it
Alex
Alex

https://shaoguan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down