Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you like exams ?i dont

+9
Jay
lemon
Sky
yoyo
Leaf..
Phoebe
Star&Sherry
Alex
mani
13 posters

Go down

do you like exams ?i dont Empty do you like exams ?i dont

Post  mani Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 am

too many exams here, like the F*** high school~ha
at high school we are jealous of college students who only need to pass the exams
at college we are jealous of high school students who dont have to pass the exams
exams make me stressful!
how do you feel?
mani
mani

Back to top Go down

do you like exams ?i dont Empty Re: do you like exams ?i dont

Post  Alex Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 pm

I like assessments such as essays more. That is why I chose to do my postgraduate degree outside of a classroom. I like exploring a subject by myself and then presenting it in my own way. This way you can form a more personal attachment to the subject matter and look at it from the angle of YOUR liking, not just repeating what a book claims.

Cool
Alex
Alex

https://shaoguan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mani Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:02 am

yeah~presentation values more than just sitting in the classroom and doing puzzling exams~
mani
mani

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:51 am

mani wrote:yeah~presentation values more than just sitting in the classroom and doing puzzling exams~

The problem with presentations I have found teaching here, is that students try to recite something they found off the internet. They don't try to learn the topic and speak naturally. Annoys me so much when their presentation sounds like a robot talking! Mad
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Star&Sherry Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm

I think so,to be honest,I do think my presetation is very dull ,but I can't help being that way,I admire who can speak English fluently
Star&Sherry
Star&Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoebe Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm

You're a girl who likes thinking.
In my opinion, exams have their roles in our study.
And I think exams will encourage us to work hard.
Phoebe
Phoebe

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Phoebe wrote:You're a girl who likes thinking.

The problem with exams in university here is that they operated in the reverse way that western universities do.

What you study during the semester is almost always based on the contents of the exams. In Australia the exams are based almost always on what you study.

So it means most students here just focus on the exams, not on learning..

Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoebe Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 pm

Alex wrote:

The problem with exams in university here is that they operated in the reverse way that western universities do.

What you study during the semester is almost always based on the contents of the exams. In Australia the exams are based almost always on what you study.

I have discussed this question with my friends before. And I agreed with your opinion.
But I think exams have their own role to exist.
Phoebe
Phoebe

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:31 pm

Phoebe wrote:
Alex wrote:

I have discussed this question with my friends before. And I agreed with your opinion.

which is?

An exam should be a measurement of progress and ability.

A CET exam is a measurement of how well you know ABOUT English, not about how well you can use it.

You would know more about English Grammar and linguistics than around 99.9% of Western University graduates... which is great if you want to be a linguist....but you are English majors, not linguistics majors.

Zhongshan University Professor, Martin Wolff wrote:A test should confirm and validate curriculum, curriculum should not confirm and validate a test. CET is predicated upon an inadequate and inappropriate foundation, i.e. English is just another subject matter and to be taught as such.

True reform requires a new sustainable foundation based upon practical English language needs in the employment marketplace instead of meaningless philosophical educational accomplishments. The goal of universities and colleges throughout China is to have students pass national English competency examinations such as TEM 4, CET 4 and CET 6. Setting aside, for the moment, the fact that these national English competency examinations bear little or no relationship to comprehensible output

Until passing the CET6 or TEM 8 exams proves someone has an excellent command of English, then they really aren't that effective at helping you improve your English... Why do I suggest that? Simply because you will all be so focused on the exams that you neglect anything that isnt helpful to pass your exams!

Most students who don't focus on these exams can learn English more efficiently than you just reciting words you will never use outside of an exam.
Most students with the motivation to use English on their blogs, in communication, anywhere! will learn English more efficiently than you who never do.
Most students who have the will power to speak English when they have the chance and communicate outside of a classroom in English will learn English more efficiently than you who are too scared to be 'wrong'.

Are you learning English to learn English or pass an exam to say you learnt English?
President of Harbin Institute of Technology, Wang Shugua wrote:Almost all employers want their recruits to have a CET certificate, so I had to push my students to pass the CET for their good, although it is against my will,"
Zhongshan University Professor, Martin Wolff wrote:The market need to have graduates who can produce comprehensible English output has been completely ignored. Consequently, foreign employers, Joint Venture employers and Chinese companies doing business abroad are hiring university graduates from India because they are better able to produce comprehensible oral and written English, than their Chinese counterparts. Imagine more than 5 million Chinese university graduates, who have learned English for 16 years, many of whom are being passed over for Chinese jobs in China.

Let me say this, if everyone is getting CET certificates, and I mean EVERYONE. What is their role if they are not a guarantee of your ability to use what you 'learnt'?

What will set you apart in the job market if the exams dont reflect your English skills? That's right, your communicative ability. There is more than one way to learn a language... and I'm sorry, just memorising words and grammar for exams isn't the best way. It would take just as much effort to learn in a competency based education style than rote learning (memorisation, listening to teachers, copy the book) based education. The only difference is that those who learn through competency can actually use the language too, not just pass exams.

Why do you think private tutors and private english training schools are a 2 billion yuan a year industry? because the exams in university arent a reflection of competence!
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Leaf.. Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:10 am

I think not every exam is necessary..so many questions we have done before and if we have a look at the exercises, we can get a good mark...I cant accept that..
Leaf..
Leaf..

Back to top Go down

do you like exams ?i dont Empty i don't like exam

Post  yoyo Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:50 am

we have a lot of exam during our high time,remenber? it was a hard time for me .exam, exam, exam...it even come to my dream.that was the most boring things in the world.
yoyo
yoyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sky Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Alex wrote:
Phoebe wrote:
Alex wrote:

which is?

An exam should be a measurement of progress and ability.

A CET exam is a measurement of how well you know ABOUT English, not about how well you can use it.

You would know more about English Grammar and linguistics than around 99.9% of Western University graduates... which is great if you want to be a linguist....but you are English majors, not linguistics majors.

Zhongshan University Professor, Martin Wolff wrote:A test should confirm and validate curriculum, curriculum should not confirm and validate a test. CET is predicated upon an inadequate and inappropriate foundation, i.e. English is just another subject matter and to be taught as such.

True reform requires a new sustainable foundation based upon practical English language needs in the employment marketplace instead of meaningless philosophical educational accomplishments. The goal of universities and colleges throughout China is to have students pass national English competency examinations such as TEM 4, CET 4 and CET 6. Setting aside, for the moment, the fact that these national English competency examinations bear little or no relationship to comprehensible output

Until passing the CET6 or TEM 8 exams proves someone has an excellent command of English, then they really aren't that effective at helping you improve your English... Why do I suggest that? Simply because you will all be so focused on the exams that you neglect anything that isnt helpful to pass your exams!

Most students who don't focus on these exams can learn English more efficiently than you just reciting words you will never use outside of an exam.
Most students with the motivation to use English on their blogs, in communication, anywhere! will learn English more efficiently than you who never do.
Most students who have the will power to speak English when they have the chance and communicate outside of a classroom in English will learn English more efficiently than you who are too scared to be 'wrong'.

Are you learning English to learn English or pass an exam to say you learnt English?
President of Harbin Institute of Technology, Wang Shugua wrote:Almost all employers want their recruits to have a CET certificate, so I had to push my students to pass the CET for their good, although it is against my will,"
Zhongshan University Professor, Martin Wolff wrote:The market need to have graduates who can produce comprehensible English output has been completely ignored. Consequently, foreign employers, Joint Venture employers and Chinese companies doing business abroad are hiring university graduates from India because they are better able to produce comprehensible oral and written English, than their Chinese counterparts. Imagine more than 5 million Chinese university graduates, who have learned English for 16 years, many of whom are being passed over for Chinese jobs in China.

Let me say this, if everyone is getting CET certificates, and I mean EVERYONE. What is their role if they are not a guarantee of your ability to use what you 'learnt'?

What will set you apart in the job market if the exams dont reflect your English skills? That's right, your communicative ability. There is more than one way to learn a language... and I'm sorry, just memorising words and grammar for exams isn't the best way. It would take just as much effort to learn in a competency based education style than rote learning (memorisation, listening to teachers, copy the book) based education. The only difference is that those who learn through competency can actually use the language too, not just pass exams.

Why do you think private tutors and private english training schools are a 2 billion yuan a year industry? because the exams in university arent a reflection of competence!

The exams aren't a reflection of competence! I agree.Actually,most of us hate exams.We hate reciting endless words or doing a complex formula which we can hardly use in daily life. We do hate continuous exams, but the social reality forces us to do so--ifan we don't focus on exams,we can't pass the exam,then we can't get certificates.As we all know Smile ,many companies won't give you a chance for you to prove your competence if you don't have a certificate.
When I was in middle school,endless exams made me eager to go to college,thinking that there would be less exams in college.But now in shaoda, I have been experiencing as much exams as that in middle school.Then I am looking forward to graduating to step to the society,so that I may be away from exams,but others told me that when you need a job ,you should take some exams (maybe an interview) … pale
Sky
Sky

Back to top Go down

Post  lemon Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:15 am

Laughing i don't like exams either.but exams are something advanced us to learn more.i think that is a good excuse make me stay the same state as in the seniors .
lemon
lemon

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 am

yeah, i have the same fellings with you.
actually, i don not like the examination
but there are too many people in China,
maybe it is the best way to select talented person to contribute our nation. afro
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Laetitia Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 am

wel ,every coin has two side. if you take an exam it's easy for you to see if you had master your study skills
Laetitia
Laetitia

Back to top Go down

Post  Jum09(4) Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 am

it all depends,i think---
Jum09(4)
Jum09(4)

Back to top Go down

Post  pingping Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 am

I don't like it indeed . It makes me nervous , because I do care . If only there is no exams , how wonderful !
pingping
pingping

Back to top Go down

Post  pingping Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 am

I don't like it indeed . It makes me nervous , because I do care . If only there is no exams , how wonderful !
pingping
pingping

Back to top Go down

do you like exams ?i dont Empty of course not

Post  hugo Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:55 am

Did anyone like exams? If someone say yes, I think he must be mentally ill.
hugo
hugo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum