Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unit 1 Greetings and Introductions

Go down

Unit 1 Greetings and Introductions Empty Unit 1 Greetings and Introductions

Post  Alex Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Unit 1 Greetings and Introductions

Greetings
The first thing you say to someone when you meet them.  Phrases such as:

• How are you (doing)?
  • How do you do?
  • What's going on?
  • How's everything?
  • How's it going?
  • I've been looking forward to meeting you.
  • I have heard so much/a lot about you.
  • Glad/Nice to meet/ see you!
  • Fancy meeting you here!
  • Long time no see.
  • You look great today.
  • Give me a hug.

Introductions
Presenting someone (or yourself) to others.  Phrases such as:

• I would like to introduce myself.  I'm...
  • Mary, let me introduce...
  • Allow me to introduce...
  • May I have your name?
  • John, may I introduce Mary to you?
  • I'd like you to meet Mary.
  • This is my friend, John.
  • Can I have your business card?
  • Here is my business card.
  • Melinda, this is Roger.  Roger, this is Melinda.
  • Sorry I didn't catch your name.

Don't greet people with...

• Where are you going? - This seems a little invasive and impolite.  Keep it to general greetings like "How's it going?" or "How's everything?"
  • Have you eaten? - Another common greeting in many Asian cultures.  In Western culture, to ask this sort of question can insinuate you want to invite someone to eat with you?
  • Hey baby! Hey boy! Hey man! etc. when they are far away.  It can be quite offensive.  If someone is a distance away, only get their attention if you actually want to talk to them.  It is simply respectful.  

Titles
When using English in formal situations (or when you are unsure of the proper etiquette), it is always polite to address someone using their title.  Common titles include:

• Mr. - An adult male
  • Master - a male youth (not very commonly used in modern times)
  • Mrs. - A married woman
  • Miss - An unmarried woman or girl
  • Ms. - A woman (doesn't specify marital status)
  • Dr. - Doctor

Note teacher is a title in Chinese, however in English, it is not.  You can address a teacher politely as "Mr. Smith" or "Sir" or "Ma'am" etc.  

Types of Names

• Middle name - Your second given name (not your family name).  Most people do not say their middle name when introducing themselves, e.g., Avril Lavigne's middle name is Ramona.
  • Full name - Your complete name, e.g., Avril Ramona Lavigne.
  • Stage name - A name actors use, e.g., Chen Gangsheng (Jackie Chan)'s stage name is Cheng Long.
  • Pen name - A name an author uses e.g., Charles Lutwidge Dodgson used the pen name Lewis Carroll.
  • Rude name - Something rude you call someone.
  • Unisex names - Names that are used commonly by both males and females, e.g., Dale, Robin, Alex, Ashley, Jordan, etc.
  • Two surnames - When someone has two surnames.  Typically reasons include due to re-marriage or cultural customs,  such as the Spanish naming culture.  
  • Full name and title - When you use your full name and your title, e.g., Dr. Mark Peter Smith or Miss Mary Elizabeth Spencer
  • Given name - Your names that were given to you by choice, e.g., your first and middle names, not your family name.
  • First name / Christian name - Your first name, e.g., Peter, Kate, Ray, etc.
  • Common name - Popular given names
  • Pet name - A term of endearment, e.g., sweety, sugar, honey, love, darling, dear, handsome, my chocolate bunny rabbit, etc.
  • Surname / Family name / Last name - Your clan name, e.g., Robert Smith, Xie Na, etc.
  • Short form of a name - A shortened form of name, e.g., Alexander has many short forms including Alex, Alec, Lex, Sandy, Xander, etc.
  • Maiden name - A woman's family name before taking her husband's family name after marriage.
  • Initial - The first letter of your name, e.g., John Fitzgerald Kennedy's initials were J.F.K.
  • Née - Used to show the family name that a woman formerly used before marriage e.g., Kate Smith née Walker.
  • Be named after - When a child is given the name of another person, usually out of respect, e.g., My friend, Jordan was named after Michael Jordan because her Dad was a big fan.
  • Take someone’s name - When a woman gets married, she often (but not always) will take the family name of her husband.  
  • Nickname - an informal name you are refered to by, e.g., My name is Julie, but my friends all just call me Shorty.

Dialogue Rehearsal Recording (page 4)
Alex
Alex

https://shaoguan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Unit 1 Greetings and Introductions Empty Re: Unit 1 Greetings and Introductions

Post  Alex Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 am

Alex
Alex

https://shaoguan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down