Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When watching an English language film or show..

+8
pingping
Leaf..
Star&Sherry
lemon
Cherry
guganlingzhi
mani
Alex
12 posters

Go down

When watching an English language film or show.. Empty When watching an English language film or show..

Post  Alex Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:32 pm

Don't use Chinese subtitles!

I recommend anyone who desires to improve their English to try watching an English language movie with only English subtitles. If you have the Chinese subtitles on the screen, then you will concentrate on reading the Chinese and almost block out the English completely. Of the students that I teach, I think all of them are at a sufficent level in their receptive skills (listening and reading) that they can understand dialogue in films and shows. Immersing yourself with English will force yourself to start thinking in English and I am 101% sure it will improve your communicative abilities!

"But what if I don't understand what they are saying?" is a common query. Well, guess what? You'll learn something! If you don't grasp or understand something, pause or rewind the film and review the phrases. Put the phrases in context by using the scene and body language of the actors to try and identify meaning. Also, the internet is a language learners best friend! Sites like iciba.com are very useful for translating tricky words and phrases. Or if a meaning really stumps you, you can ask me! Cool You would be surprised how many people before have been confused by the exact phrase you are!

Making sure you pick something personally interesting for you when you are getting first trying. It might feel uncomfortable at first, but as the saying goes, 'the hardest step is always the first'. Think of it this way, instead of getting your English from (sometimes questionable) textbooks, when you immerse yourself in English, avoiding Chinese, you are treating yourself to authentic language from your heroes on the screen. Chances are, that you will learn colorful and up-to-date expressions and slang! The students I have met in China with the best English are the ones who are actively interested in English language movies, tv shows and music.

So next time your mum tells you to stop laughing and watching movies and to study your English, tell her "I am in the middle of class, please don't disturb me!" Laughing
Alex
Alex

https://shaoguan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

When watching an English language film or show.. Empty Re: When watching an English language film or show..

Post  mani Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:06 am

totally agree~thats what i am doing now~i am watching south park and improving my english~haha~ learn a lot verble abuse too, Cool
good student right?
mani
mani

Back to top Go down

When watching an English language film or show.. Empty Re: When watching an English language film or show..

Post  Alex Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am

mani wrote:totally agree~thats what i am doing now~i am watching south park and improving my english~haha~ learn a lot verble abuse too, Cool
good student right?

Haha South Park? You will learn A LOT of colourful language that way. Great show!
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

When watching an English language film or show.. Empty agree

Post  guganlingzhi Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:08 pm

i agree with you
but usually i will choose double subtitles so that i can see the cultural differences
guganlingzhi
guganlingzhi

Back to top Go down

Post  mani Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:27 pm

guganlingzhi wrote:i agree with you
but usually i will choose double subtitles so that i can see the cultural differences
if there is duble subtitles ~i can help to see the chinese one~haaha
so i think only english subtitles is enough.its more challeging~however,few episodes have only english subtitles`
where can i find them No
mani
mani

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:40 pm

mani wrote:
so i think only english subtitles is enough.its more challeging~however,few episodes have only english subtitles`
where can i find them No

If you have downloaded a movie, you can find the subtitles on google. For example if it was the movie Forest Gump, type "Forest Gump English Subtitles" and you should be able to find them! Cool

Same if you want to find a screenplay or script of a tv show or film, type something like "Forest Gump screenplay" and you should find it Very Happy
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Cherry Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:00 pm

The other days, I watched "my best friend's wedding" , taking about a woman who is invited to attend her ex-boyfriend's wedding, but later she comes to realize that she still loves him and tells him before his wedding.....
The movice is nice and easy to find the english-only subtitles in Youku.
Cherry
Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 am

I just watched a movie called "CRazy Heart" with one of my favourite actors, Jeff Bridges in it. A good manly drama piece about a country music singer and his battles with life.

Tonight I am going to watch a movie which I love called "Paris, Texas" a European movie shot in America about a man coming to terms with his wrongs in life. Very powerful. Will find a link for you to watch a bit later Cool
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Cherry Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:20 am

Alex wrote:I just watched a movie called "CRazy Heart" with one of my favourite actors, Jeff Bridges in it. A good manly drama piece about a country music singer and his battles with life.

Tonight I am going to watch a movie which I love called "Paris, Texas" a European movie shot in America about a man coming to terms with his wrongs in life. Very powerful. Will find a link for you to watch a bit later Cool
yeah,thanks, i've finish the first season of LOST which's kind of similar with PRISON BREAK
Cherry
Cherry

Back to top Go down

When watching an English language film or show.. Empty agree

Post  lemon Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:55 am

i also have this bad habit .
lemon
lemon

Back to top Go down

Post  Star&Sherry Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:18 am

lemon wrote:
I always download the dounle subtitles movie ,so that I can understand the movie easily
Star&Sherry
Star&Sherry

Back to top Go down

Post  Leaf.. Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:55 am

sometimes they talk so fast that I can hardly catch up with..I also think that use the english subtitles only will be better,for I always can't help watch the chinese one.. Mad Mad Mad
Leaf..
Leaf..

Back to top Go down

Post  pingping Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:58 pm

But ,just now I wanted to watch the last movie in the computer , it had nothing at all , not even English ! Mad
pingping
pingping

Back to top Go down

Post  Candy Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I agree with you.It seems that it is too hard for me ,but I will try my best to do it Very Happy
Candy
Candy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sky Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:36 pm

I was used to watching movies with Chinese & English subtitles.But I will try to wach movies with only English subtitles
Sky
Sky

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Sky wrote:I was used to watching movies with Chinese & English subtitles.But I will try to wach movies with only English subtitles

What you can do is try to guess a meaning of phrases you are familiar with. If you really can't follow what it means, use a website like iciba.com, that has a lot of common phrases translated. Better yet, try to read the script of the movie before you watch a movie. This way you will be familiar with the dialogue before you hear it (especially helpful if they talk too fast) or if you are better at reading then listening.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Sky Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Alex wrote:
Sky wrote:I was used to watching movies with Chinese & English subtitles.But I will try to wach movies with only English subtitles

What you can do is try to guess a meaning of phrases you are familiar with. If you really can't follow what it means, use a website like iciba.com, that has a lot of common phrases translated. Better yet, try to read the script of the movie before you watch a movie. This way you will be familiar with the dialogue before you hear it (especially helpful if they talk too fast) or if you are better at reading then listening.
Good suggestion.Thank you very much
Sky
Sky

Back to top Go down

Post  cassie Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Star&Sherry wrote:
lemon wrote:
I always download the dounle subtitles movie ,so that I can understand the movie easily

me too, but most time i'm always attractive by its plot, so i will attach my concern to the chinese subtitles pale
cassie
cassie

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHe Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:02 am

I enjoy watching english, but I prefer to download the dounle subtitles movie. It's hard to understand the whole film without chinese explanation, and I'm too impatient to get the meaning by myself. Maybe when I'm very much interested in the film. Just maybe.
JennyHe
JennyHe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down