Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese university students forgetting how to speak Chinese!

+8
John
Erin
Memory
shadow.xiao
cassie
Evelyn_guan
mani
Alex
12 posters

Go down

Chinese university students forgetting how to speak Chinese! Empty Chinese university students forgetting how to speak Chinese!

Post  Alex Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Article Here

As China's students focus on English, grasp on Chinese slipping
October 22, 2010
By People's Daily Online

Currently, a strange phenomenon has appeared on China's university campuses. Many students are spending a lot of energy learning English, but they have lost the ability to correctly and fluently use the Chinese language.

In the First Academic Session on Life and Chinese Language recently held at Renmin University of China, the vice dean of the University's School of Liberal Arts He Yang expressed his disappointment at the current university students' Chinese language level. He believes that the education model, insufficient investment as well as outdated and poorly-constructed course content are the key reasons for the decline in education in the mother tongue.

In 2009, He Yang's students carried out a questionnaire survey among 319 students from Tsinghua University, Renmin University of China, Beijing Foreign Studies University and the Central Academy of Drama to test their ability of distinguishing and properly choosing some Chinese characters and frequently-used phrases. The results astonished all the people, and 68 percent of the respondents scored less than 70 points and 30 percent scored less than 60 points.

He Yang also mentioned another disappointing sampling survey. The target of the survey was part of the homework done by the students of Renmin University's "University Chinese Language" course. The title of the homework is "A Self-Recommendation Letter to a Supervisor." Of the 74 letters, 49 have "form of wording" problems, 64 were written in "a tone that does not meet the requirements of a self-recommendation letter," and all of them have grammatical errors, such as improper collocations and misuses of function words.

What hides behind these severe problems is the current gloomy situation of Chinese education in China's universities. In 2009, Renmin University also carried out a survey on the condition of the "University Chinese Language" course of China's six renowned universities. The results showed that the Chinese language education has not received enough attention, and the notion that English language is more emphasized than the Chinese language is still quite severe.

How is this even possible? How many years do students learn Chinese at primary school and middle school? Not to mention their immersion in Chinese everyday?

I would love if my students forgot their Chinese and just used English tongue
Alex
Alex

https://shaoguan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chinese university students forgetting how to speak Chinese! Empty Re: Chinese university students forgetting how to speak Chinese!

Post  mani Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 am

ha then i can speak like a hongkong people, mix english and chinese together ,isnt that cool?
mani
mani

Back to top Go down

Chinese university students forgetting how to speak Chinese! Empty Re: Chinese university students forgetting how to speak Chinese!

Post  Alex Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 pm

mani wrote:ha then i can speak like a hongkong people, mix english and chinese together ,isnt that cool?

Shaoglish?

50% Shaoguan Chinese / 50% English ? tongue
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  mani Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:17 am

Alex wrote:
mani wrote:ha then i can speak like a hongkong people, mix english and chinese together ,isnt that cool?

Shaoglish?

50% Shaoguan Chinese / 50% English ? tongue
haha, i dont speak shaoglish, i speak huadlish
mani
mani

Back to top Go down

Post  Evelyn_guan Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 pm

I think that will not happen on me,,haha...the reason why they study English so hard is because they were told that English is very important nowdays..and when they were in primary school,they had to learn English,just the same time as Chinese
Evelyn_guan
Evelyn_guan

Back to top Go down

Post  cassie Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear that..We should focus on our Chinese, and then English!
cassie
cassie

Back to top Go down

Post  shadow.xiao Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 am

terrible
large numbers of children are forced to learn English when they are very young, i mean when he even do not speak Chinese well, actually, they do not speak English well, they just children in kindergarten, i think there is no need for them to learn it.
shadow.xiao
shadow.xiao

Back to top Go down

Post  shadow.xiao Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 am

at the same time, there are many foreigners who can speak Chinese fluently and even much better than Chinese.
however, what i wand to say is that the number of Chinese like the one you have mentioned is few, Smile very very little
shadow.xiao
shadow.xiao

Back to top Go down

Post  Memory Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:05 am

we can't speak Engish as good as Chinese...no matter how hard we work.
I am not saying we are not good at studying.I mean, the emotion,the feeling to our country.
we don't know much about the history of English-speaking countries,simply we don't like those countries at all because we never appoach them.
Memory
Memory

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 am

Memory wrote:we can't speak Engish as good as Chinese...no matter how hard we work.
I am not saying we are not good at studying.I mean, the emotion,the feeling to our country.
we don't know much about the history of English-speaking countries,simply we don't like those countries at all because we never appoach them.

Sure language closely linked to culture, but to say you will never speak English as good as you speak Chinese? affraid

That is a pretty big claim to make...

Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 am

cherry speak Cantonese and kejiahua...
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 am

but my Chinese is far more better than my english
should i be happy or sad
John
John

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

John wrote:but my Chinese is far more better than my english
should i be happy or sad

Means you need to adjust your learning style suitably.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Lexus Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Alex wrote:Article Here

As China's students focus on English, grasp on Chinese slipping
October 22, 2010
By People's Daily Online

Currently, a strange phenomenon has appeared on China's university campuses. Many students are spending a lot of energy learning English, but they have lost the ability to correctly and fluently use the Chinese language.

In the First Academic Session on Life and Chinese Language recently held at Renmin University of China, the vice dean of the University's School of Liberal Arts He Yang expressed his disappointment at the current university students' Chinese language level. He believes that the education model, insufficient investment as well as outdated and poorly-constructed course content are the key reasons for the decline in education in the mother tongue.

In 2009, He Yang's students carried out a questionnaire survey among 319 students from Tsinghua University, Renmin University of China, Beijing Foreign Studies University and the Central Academy of Drama to test their ability of distinguishing and properly choosing some Chinese characters and frequently-used phrases. The results astonished all the people, and 68 percent of the respondents scored less than 70 points and 30 percent scored less than 60 points.

He Yang also mentioned another disappointing sampling survey. The target of the survey was part of the homework done by the students of Renmin University's "University Chinese Language" course. The title of the homework is "A Self-Recommendation Letter to a Supervisor." Of the 74 letters, 49 have "form of wording" problems, 64 were written in "a tone that does not meet the requirements of a self-recommendation letter," and all of them have grammatical errors, such as improper collocations and misuses of function words.

What hides behind these severe problems is the current gloomy situation of Chinese education in China's universities. In 2009, Renmin University also carried out a survey on the condition of the "University Chinese Language" course of China's six renowned universities. The results showed that the Chinese language education has not received enough attention, and the notion that English language is more emphasized than the Chinese language is still quite severe.

How is this even possible? How many years do students learn Chinese at primary school and middle school? Not to mention their immersion in Chinese everyday?

I would love if my students forgot their Chinese and just used English tongue

I have been learning English since I was in grade 4 in primary school. However, I find my Chinese is as bad as my English Evil or Very Mad (not kidding!)

I once thought going abroad to further my English study but it is such a pity I have to accept that my family cannot afford it.

Once I have a chance, I will make it happen.
Lexus
Lexus

Back to top Go down

Post  kitty Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:41 pm

It is our obligation to speak our mother languag forever
kitty
kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Elaine Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:44 pm

It's too strange!
Elaine
Elaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Human Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:00 am

though i'm an english major, i will never forget my mother language because i think Chinese culture is profound,and after all, it's our own language and culture,isn't it right?
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Human wrote:though i'm an english major, i will never forget my mother language because i think Chinese culture is profound,and after all, it's our own language and culture,isn't it right?

I think Chinese Culture is profound, but if you were in an environment where you simply couldnt think or communicate in a language or dialect, it would take you a while to learn the mannerisms of the language.

In 2007,when I went back to Australia after a couple of years abroad, I found personalised communication in Australian English pretty difficult for a week or so.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down